On November 7, 1854, Rev. Robert Barnard Wells preached the first sermon in the newly-organized town of Gatesville in a clapboard house on the southeast corner of the square that was being used as the courthouse. His wife, Mary Fisher Wells, organized the first Sunday School and private school at their log cabin. Planning soon began for organizing a Methodist Church in Gatesville.
On January 11, 1855, the Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church South came to Gatesville and officially organized the Methodist Church with sixteen members. In 1860, the church members and volunteers built a church building on the corner of 7th and Saunders streets. The Methodists and Baptists shared the building, alternating Sundays. Between 1880 and 1900, several building changes took place, including a move to 8th and Saunders Street, a new wooden church, a new parsonage, and other additions and refurbishments.
Again, a larger building was needed by the congregation. In 1913, a large white brick building was dedicated on Lutterloh Avenue. In 1967 the church purchased the home at 115 N. 28th Street to be used as the parsonage.
Our present structure was completed in 1971. It incorporated many of the stained glass windows from earlier buildings. The church initiated the Let’s Grow Learning Center preschool in 1982 and in 1998, a Family Life Center added additional classes and recreational space.
The 150th Anniversary of Methodism in Gatesville was marked with a special dedication service in 2004. Now, we wait for God to lead us as we write the next chapter in the story of our church.